myredrecipebook

Cilantro Lime Chicken

I have bought pre-prepared Cilantro Lime Chicken at Aldi's for, I don't know, $8-9 something before, but that's lazy because I know how to cook, right?




So instead of buying the premade in a vacuumed sealed bag stuff, I decided I have enough culinary skills to pull this entre off at home.

OK, so still shopping at Aldi's, limes were .35 each, and cilantro was around the same price. I know I have boneless skinless chicken breasts from Costco in my freezer at home plus additional lime juice from a previous purchase.



So I bought 2 fresh limes and one packet of fresh cilantro to add to the ingredients I already had on hand at home. 

I also bought white mini white corn tortillas at Aldis, too.

Prep:

Take two frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts and dethaw them in the microwave. About 14 minutes on the defrost setting.

I took the two limes and with a Microplane, I took the skin off (zested) of each lime and added the zest to a plastic bowl. Why plastic? Because it won't react to the acid.

Then I cut up the limes into thin slices and placed them into the same bowl with the lime zest.

I finely chopped the cilantro all up until I got to the stem part, and I threw the rest of the stems away.

Then I diagonally cut the cilantro and then a third time, cut the cilantro to get any other leaves that didn't get cut before, and I added this into the plastic bowl with the lime.

I took the now dethawed chicken breasts from the microwave, cut open the bags, and placed them on my cutting board. I cut each breast on the bias sliced about a quarter of an inch thick and then placed them into the bowl with the lime.

At this point, I added the additional lime juice, kosher salt, and freshly ground pepper.

Then with a big plastic spoon, I mixed everything together and placed it into the refrigerator while I cooked the corn tortillas making them into taco shells.

 I added oil to my preferred frying pan to make taco shells in and I set-up a cookie sheet with 3-4 paper towels to catch the excess oil after the taco shells were cooked. Once all of the shells were cooked, I lightly salted them with table salt.

Cook:

I transferred some of the oil I cooked the tortillas into a larger frying pan that I intended to cook the sliced chicken and limes in. No, I did not remove the slices of limes before I cooked the chicken because I wanted to retain a strong bunch of lime flavor.

I cooked this on medium heat for about 15 minutes until the juice from the chicken and limes were reduced by about half. Then I removed it from the heat to cool for about 5 minutes.

Serve:

I guess I could have used some hot sauce or pico de Gallo along with the cilantro lime chicken, but I was too hungry to care. My homemade cilantro-lime tacos were yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment