2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold vegetable shortening, cut into small chunks
1/4 cup water + 1/4 cup plain yogurt
1 large egg
1/2 cup of your favorite fruit diced
finely grated zest from one small lemon (about 2 teaspoons)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk or sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt. Add shortening chunks and toss lightly with flour; place bowl in fridge.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together egg, yogurt, water, and lemon zest; place bowl in fridge.
4. Get organized: measure out and chop the fresh fruit (not blueberries though); set aside. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silpat; set aside. Lightly dust a counter top with flour.
5. Remove bowls of flour and wet from fridge. Cut butter into flour with a pastry blender or rub together with your fingertips until it resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in fruit to combine.
6. Add wet mixture all at once to flour mixture and stir until the mixture clumps together. Spoon into prepared cupcake tin by the rounded tablespoon full, about 2/3 full.
7. Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for 13-15 minutes until lightly browned. Remove to cooling rack.
Note: You could sub the yogurt with plain soy, no water.