myredrecipebook

Pickled Ginger

I bought some fresh ginger root at my local .99 Cents Store, but wasn't using it fast enough before it started to wrinkle a bit, so I decided to pickle it.

So the key to pickling ginger is 3 parts apple cider vinegar to 2 parts granulated sugar.  Since I only had three small pieces of ginger to pickle, I used my 1/3 cup measuring cup for this batch. On the stove, heat this mixture on medium heat until it boils. While the liquid was heating up, I cleaned the ginger root by taking off the tan skin with a sharp paring knife and cutting out any dry or damaged parts and then sliced it about 1/8th of an inch thick. I placed the sliced ginger into a glass snaplock container and poured the pickling liquid over the ginger until about 1/8th of an inch to the top and then snapped the top onto the glass bottom and wiped the glass clean due to the bit of overflow and placed the container into the refrigerator.

Pickled ginger may turn pink.


No comments:

Post a Comment